Tuesday 30 July 2013

Ginger and Hoisin Sauce Roasted Chicken Wings


I have an opened bottle of Hoisin sauce in the fridge and I wanted to make use of it. I am making an effort not to waste the things that I buy as it is a terrible waste of money. Last month, I used some of the sauce to make Penang Rojak and I have to find other ways to use it up.


I was craving for chicken wings and I didn't want to use the usual barbecue marinade. That's when I got an idea to come up with something of my own using Hoisin sauce. It was one of my "simply throw together" marinades, which is now properly documented thanks to this blog. In the past, it would have been something I would put together and then forget.



I crushed some garlic and ginger using a garlic press. It's a very useful gadget if you need to crush garlic and ginger without having to use your mortar and pestle.

Garlic and ginger
Run garlic and ginger through garlic press.
And then I added the crushed garlic and ginger with hoisin sauce, chili sauce, soya sauce and fish sauce. 

Marinade.
The marinade smelled and tasted pretty good. It was sweet and salty and the aroma of ginger was very refreshing and appetizing. 


The chicken wings turned out very tasty. These chicken wings would be nice to serve during parties or small gatherings. It is the sort of food that you can prepare the day before and pop it into the oven a few hours before your guests arrive. I find it very convenient and makes entertaining less stressful.



Ginger and Hoisin Sauce Roasted Chicken Wings
Recipe Source : Phong Hong's concoction

Ingredients :
- 10 chicken wings
- 2 tablespoons Hoisin sauce
- 1 tablespoon chili sauce
- 2 tablespoon light soya sauce
- 2 tablespoon fish sauce
- 4 cloves garlic, pounded (or crushed using garlic press)
- 1 inch ginger, pounded (or crushed using garlic press)

Method :
1. Clean chicken wings and pat dry.
2. Crush garlic and ginger.
3. In a mixing bowl add garlic, ginger, hoisin sauce, chili sauce, soya sauce and fish sauce.
4. Put chicken wings into freezer bag/plastic bag and pour marinade into the bag and seal.
5. Move the chicken wings around to ensure that wings are evenly coated.
6. Place the chicken wings in chiller for about 4 hours or preferably overnight.
7. Before roasting, take the wings out to come to room temperature.
8. Preheat oven to 180C.
9. Roast the chicken wings for about 35-40 minutes, turning the wings after 20 minutes, until golden brown and cooked through.



Photobucket


This post is linked to the event, Little Thumbs Up organised by Zoe of Bake for Happy Kids and Doreen of My Little Favourite DIY and hosted by Alvin of Chef and Sommelier

56 comments:

  1. Phong Hong, this really thumb up. wo.... i love this. after eating the chicken wings also sucking on our fingers. haha...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. xing hui, yah! Finger licking good lah hee..hee...

      Delete
  2. Hi Phong Hong, can we swap chicken wings? I would like 5 of these, and in return I give you 5 of mine ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yen, sure! I would love to taste your chicken wings :)

      Delete
  3. Phong Hong, here in S. Florida is still morning...just finished my coffee and I'm already hungry and craving your finger lickin' good Hoisin chicken wings. A fabulous creation, which I also use to combine, just not used the fish sauce which I always have on hand, but fresh garlic, fresh ginger, soy sauce, hoisin sauce...these a 'staple' items that I have in my fridge. Thanks for sharing your creative sauce recipe! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Elisabeth! Glad to know that you use this combination too but without the fish sauce. Looks like we think alike :)

      Delete
  4. Phong Hong, I love chicken wing and your version is so no fuss free. Thumbs Up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ann! I love this type of easy thrown together dishes. Fuss free and taste so good :)

      Delete
  5. PH, you and Yen are conspiring to tempt us with all these yummy chicken wings recipes eh! Now i just have to go to the market and get some to roast tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Esther, you will love our chicken wings hah! hah!

      Delete
  6. ivy sew http://simplybeautifulhealthyliving.blogspot.com30 July 2013 at 23:06

    Phong Hong, another one of your very best finger licking good chickens. Love it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ivy! I think I want some more chicken wings this weekend :)

      Delete
  7. Hi Phong Hong,
    Wow, the chicken wings looks so delicious! I really love chicken wings, my favourite part of the chicken! I could easily finish half a dozen of these delicious looking wings! Yummilicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joyce, I used to like only the drumstick but now I think the wings are a lot more exciting!

      Delete
  8. Hi Phong Hong, your chicken wings sure finger licking good. Look so tempting... wish I can have at least 4 pieces now. LOL
    Thanks for sharing your delicious recipe.

    Have a nice week ahead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Amelia, you will sure wallop more than 4 hah! hah!

      Delete
  9. Look really yum, Phong Hong! With a can of ice cold beer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, Alvin! This goes very well with beer!

      Delete
  10. what lovely color have these wings!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Gloria! The do look good, all browned and shiny :)

      Delete
  11. Hi, Phong Hong. Would you post a photo of the ginger press machine? I am interested to know how it works and where to buy it. Thanks ya!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jozelyn, sure! I will do that this weekend. Weekdays I am so busy :( By the way I bought it at IKEA. It is called a garlic press but I also whack ginger with it hah! hah!

      Delete
  12. Hi Phong Hong, you really have so many delicious roast chicken/meat recipes that I must try... Like what Alvin says it takes months to try a dish a day from his LTU-Ginger theme. This one must be yummy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kimmy, this recipe is quite good lah. I was happy that something that I simply throw around can taste so good hee..hee...

      Delete
  13. Another delicious chicken recipe... looks finger licking good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mich! It is very yummy, nice to eat in front of the TV.

      Delete
  14. Hi Phong Hong,

    There is lots of chicken + ginger dishes linking with LTU this month. Love your finger-licking creation... can fight with Curtis's drumsticks :p

    Btw, are you interested in hosting LTU next year? Please email me at zoebakeforhappykids@gmail.com or leave me a comment. Cheers!

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Zoe! Hah! Hah! I should create my drumstick recipe soon :) Thanks for the offer but I have to decline for now as I would not be able to spare the time. Wait till I am retired and I can spend more time on events and maybe do a bit of hosting then (9 more years to go woohoo!!!).

      Delete
    2. No worries, Phong Hong! Hopefully, LTU and blogging still exist after 9 years :p

      Delete
    3. I am sure they will, Zoe!

      Delete
  15. Hi Phong Hong, the chicken wings look super good! I love the colour and the marinade sounds really good too, going to give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jasline! I am sure you will love the chicken wings. I am thinking of doing it again this weekend :)

      Delete
  16. YUM YUM, pandai main masak, Nampak sedap sangat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Thank you! Sonia lagi pandai!

      Delete
  17. This reminds me I hv noy made any bbq chic wing for quite some time. ...must bookmark this recipe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Must try! Very shiok eat in front of the TV :)

      Delete
  18. Garlic press? Hmmmm...I'm so old school - I would pound everything. Hehehehehe!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The problem with the garlic press is, it is easy to use but when it comes to washing it can be a bit tedious because the garlic/ginger gets stuck to the groves :(

      Delete
  19. Wow!!!! Yummy chicken wings!!! you always make me drool, haha...
    Quite simple ingredients, I would like to try!!! Thanks, Phong Hong!!:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Esther, easy and sedap! That type of cooking is my favourite.

      Delete
  20. This recipe looks great. I think even my fussy small people will like it. I’ll be trying it soon. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. cquek, I think your fussy small people will be asking for more after they taste this!

      Delete
  21. Oh WOW! This chicken wings look so sedap & making drool ! I've gotta try this soon . YUMMY!

    ReplyDelete
  22. uweeeeeeee....salah time lagi masuk sini...basah kibod akak!
    PH, garlic press tu camner rupa dia? beli kat mana? nampak memudahkan urusan didapur kan? share gambar penuh boleh? ( soalan nak elak tengok kepak ayam yg menggiurkan tu lama2) kah kah kah...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kak Q, nanti in my next post PH akan tayang garlic press, ok? Benda ni boleh beli kat IKEA :)

      Delete
  23. great post
    thanks for shairng

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love grilled/roasted chicken and i love recipes churned out on the spur of the moment to make good use of whatever is available, it makes the dish extra meaningful :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I do that all the time. A splash here and a dash there and so far they turned out alright :)

      Delete
  25. Hi Kak Phong Hong,
    Wow! 2 thumbs up for these yum yum chicken wings!
    Have to eat these yummy wings with hands, more finger licking good!
    Zoe and I will be glad to have you as our host for LTU 9 years later..:p thanks for for your support :D
    mui

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, mui mui! Hope you try the yum yum chicken wings. I am sure your boys will love it!

      Delete
  26. wow, looks so nice! i seldom use hoisin sauce, only know how to use that marinating my char siew for buns. Thanks again for all your ideas! sorry for not visiting lately, just came back from a trip, looks like you' re also very busy in the kitchen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lena! I find it hard to catch up visiting my friends' blogs too.

      Delete