Wednesday 4 November 2015

Avocado, Garlic and Parsley Dressing


I know that the picture you should be looking at is the avocado dressing. But it was not pretty. Well, after two meat-free posts, are you happy to see bacon? I sure am!

This time I wanted a different sort of dressing instead of the same-old same-old vinaigrette. It so happened that I had one avocado (yup, leftover) in the fridge and avocado dressing was the order of the day.


So I flipped my cookbook and found Avocado+Basil Dressing. The thing is, I am not too fond of Italian Basil. I just do not like it. The smell is too strong for me. I very much prefer our Asian variety. At the same time, I love Italian Parsley. I can eat heaps and heaps of parsley in my salad. So I thought, why not? Substitute basil with the Italian parsley which I readily had in the fridge.


So here's my Avocado, Garlic and Parsley Dressing. I'm afraid it looks all green and goopy because I simply plonked it into the bowl. I used an immersion blender (a gift from my mum) to blend the avocado, garlic, parsley, lime juice and olive oil.

Green gobs of deliciousness.

This is good stuff I tell you. I was a bit apprehensive but upon tasting, I told myself that I am going to buy more avocados. This dressing is thick and creamy and according to the recipe, you can thin it out with water. I didn't do that because I did not want to dilute this wonderful tasting green glob.

I know that vinaigrette is more suited for salad greens because a heavy dressing would simply weigh the greens down. But it doesn't matter. It is up to us to choose and I ended up with a salad that looked better without the dressing. Here look.


Eekks, right? hee..hee.. Another person with more finesse would have piped the dressing over the salad to create a pretty picture. But I am no food stylist. I am only interested in eating the food. Besides, the salad was going into my stomach where it will look far worse that what you see above.


That was a really good salad with a very good dressing. I know, my judgement may have been clouded by the smokey bacon but no, I don't think so. And I am happy with the Italian parsley substitute. This creamy, tangy and salty dressing will find it's way into my salad again, with or without bacon :)











Avocado, Garlic and Italian Parsley Dressing
Recipe source : Adapted from Nom Nom Paleo Food for Humans (Page 61)

Ingredients :
- 1 ripe Hass avocado, flesh scooped out
- 1 cup Italian Parsley (or Basil as in the original recipe)
- 1 large garlic clove
- Juice from 2 small limes
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Sea salt to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste

Method :
1. Put all the ingredients into a blender and blend until fine and well mixed.
2. If you find it too thick, add water to thin it out (I did not)



This post is also linked to Cook-Your-Books #27 hosted by Joyce of Kitchen Flavours.

42 comments:

  1. Lovely!!! My girl loves avocado! So expensive - can go up to RM10.00 EACH here!!! No choice, will just have to buy for her...will ripen and go bad very quickly too.

    Will try using them to make this dressing - maybe that way, they will keep longer and I am sure my girl will enjoy it very much, that's the most important part.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Over here it is RM7 each. So can only indulge once in a while.

      You are such a doting papa, Melissa sure is one lucky girl!

      Delete
  2. haha!! though I read "Avocado, Garlic and Parsely Dressing", I just forgot about it when I saw your bacon salad in the very first photo.. and then I have to scroll back up to read the title again when you mention that in the very first sentence!! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. good good!! after some meat-free meals you are back to meat, and great is that you did not make a total change but in a gradual way, you still go with salad but just added some pieces of bacon!! very smart and I guess this is the right way!! :)

      Delete
    2. I love avocado but due to its exorbitant high price (to me lah), I rarely buy it myself, yeah the stingy me, haha!! looks good what you have come out with there, sure taste good with the salad huh?? and if you have some left, would be perfect for sandwiches too!! yum yum yum~~

      Delete
    3. I also find the price tak boleh tahan lah hah..hah.. But what to do? Once in a while can belanja myself to eat expensive foodstuff.

      Delete
  3. I loves avocado too, but then the price not cheap, can't bear to buy it, hehe...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ya, everybody complaining it is expensive.

      Delete
  4. Nah... I don't think so. I think you are just not being honest with yourself. Must be the bacon that did the job of making the salad good! :D :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hah..hah...OK, next time I eat without the bacon for a second opinion :D

      Delete
  5. Never use avocado before, but your salad look nice..the avocado dressing look very delicious, creamy texture OMG! I'm going to try it soon~ thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to be scared of avocado until I tried an avocado smoothie with chocolate sauce. It was so good and that was how I started eating avocado :)

      Delete
  6. Hi Phong Hong, the bacon caught my attention first. The avocado dressing looks so creamy and delicious. Again, I wouldn't mind having this salad anytime of the day, hehehe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kimmy, I'm thinking of having it again hee..hee..

      Delete
  7. I see 3 things we have in common in our posts today....we both had salad with eggs and bacon in the mix! ;) Only difference is you made your salad dressing fresh....I scooped mine out from a jar >.< It's not that the avocado dressing wasn't a pretty picture, it was just that it covered the beautiful bacon! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup! You made me want to make a potato salad too hee..hee...

      Delete
  8. Have never done salad dressing in my kitchen, I always use the shop bought one..furthermore, my kids only like their avocado to mix with condensed milk..wait till they are bigger then I can introduce to them your salad dressing..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should make your own dressing one day. Homemade is better but of course not always convenient.

      Delete
  9. Hi Phong Hong, this salad is great for light lunch. Love the eggs and bacon combo.
    Avocado dressing look good but our supermarket here the avocado is so expensive. But I don't buy, when available just pluck from our little heaven. :))

    Have a nice day,regards.
    Amelia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wah, Amelia you have an avocado tree in your orchard? Best lah you!

      Delete
  10. I like the dressing idea-must try it out, especially that I have all ingredients at home

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your salad looks really good especially with the bacon and egg. I do not like watery dressing. Your dressing suits me fine because after mixing, it will be just right. Yums!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nancy, I am sure you will love this salad especially so with the crunchy bacon :)

      Delete
  12. I love salad with simple dressing like this avocado. Looks really creamy. Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a creamy and yummy dressing! To be repeated real soon :)

      Delete
  13. Hi Phong Hong,
    Sadly, my big kids not fan of avocado. Tried introduced a few times like smoothie or just add to some fruits. ... haiz ... Anyway, I love your bowl of salad with or without any salad dressing ^-^!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karen, then you will have to eat it all by yourself :)

      Delete
  14. very refreshing photos for food.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I would love this salad without the bacon! I can eat loads of avocado just like that.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Eh, your avocado dressing looks very hoi wai and nice leh.. I was imagining plain avocado mash only.. I'm not a fan of avocado coz it oxidizes very quickly,thus, turning black the moment I cut it.. But I read from the internet, soak them in lemon juice, and they remain fresh in the fridge without the black colour thingy for a few days, not yet try though..But your avocado dip looks really good, makes me wana scoop with spoon and eat it now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Louiz, you need to coat it with lime or lemon juice. I think the dressing can use as a dip to eat with nachos. Aiyo! I must try it hee..hee..

      Delete
  17. Looks great though I am not really into salad cos it always makes me hungry soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Need to have some proteins with salad so that you will be full.

      Delete
  18. LOL...was wondering where is the salad dressing.

    Looks very good wor.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I must learn to toss crispy bacons into my salad or just snack them!!
    I don't fancy avocado as they taste green and so expensive here. It is good and has lots of health benefits to keep you young!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They taste green when taken on their own and it is best to combine avocados with other ingredients.

      Delete