Monday 18 September 2017

Cheddar Cheese Loaf


For someone who has a love hate relationship with cheese, it's rather strange to find me baking a butter cake that contains cheese. 

The cheese in question is cheddar cheese, those sliced cheddar cheese that I learnt to enjoy thanks to my late grandfather's influence. Grandpa was surprisingly adventurous when it came to food. 

Sheep's tongue, blue cheese and caviar were among the foods that he introduced to me. Oh no, I disliked the blue cheese immensely! I swore I experienced a burning sensation on my tongue and that unpleasant taste haunted me for life.

Caviar, I also disliked (though not traumatized), so fishy and smelly. But the sheep's tongue, that I enjoyed. I thought it was delicious!


Back to this cheese loaf, in spite of me adding extra cheddar cheese, the cheese flavor was quite subtle. Not surprising  since cheddar is one of the milder cheeses which explains why I was able to acquire a taste for it.

Hardcore cheese lovers would be disappointed with the lack of flavor but this being a butter cake, I doubt if anyone would dislike it.


Cheddar Cheese Loaf
Recipe source : Adapted from Alex Goh's Creative Making of Cakes.

Ingredients :
- 250g butter
- 200g sugar
- 4 eggs
- 100g cheddar cheese, cut into small cubes
- 100ml milk
- 280g self-raising flour, sifted

Method :
1. Cream butter and sugar until light and creamy.
2. Add eggs one at a time and continue to beat the mixture until light and fluffy.
3. Add vanilla extract and continue to beat until well mixed.
4. Using a spatula, fold in the flour in 3 additions alternating with the milk in 2 additions (start with flour, milk, flour, milk and flour)
5. Add cheddar cheese cubes and fold until well combined.
6. Pour batter into 2 small loaf pans and bake at 160C for about 40 minutes or until skewer inserted into the center comes out clean (if baked in a regular loaf pan, I reckon it may take about 50 minutes)

35 comments:

  1. wah, I want to eat this cake. I will be like TM, I will beg beg beg for this cake, hehehehehe. in your recipe, I don't see when you add in the cheese cubes? Did I miss out reading that?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. now I see adding cheddar cheese cubes is in step 5. Good good, must be very tasty and super rich with the butter and cheese. so yummy!

      Delete
    2. Care to join me?? I plan to walk around Uptown in circles and kneel to procrastinate to beg Ah Hong Chee to feed me this wonderfool & farnee cake. I love cheese, lagi busuk lagi bagus.

      #MissionBeg2Eat #KejuBusukCake

      Delete
    3. Mun : Thanks for pointing out the omission :) The cake is butter but cheese flavor is hardly detectable. Perhaps a stronger cheese is required but not for me hee..hee..

      Delete
    4. TM : This cake is not busuk enough for you lah...

      Delete
    5. Lina : hah..hah...marathon around Starling?

      Delete
  2. This looks like a butter cake...so I'll imagine it as that! ;)
    P/S: That bamboo mat at the bottom looks like something one would use for sushi making. Any plans to make sushi? I once bought the sushi-making set but gave up and threw the whole thing away. Sushi rolling is so freakin' hard to do! :'(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cheese taste/smell is hardly detectable, so this is more of a rich butter cake :) Make sushi? No lah, such a hassle. The chefs on TV make it look so simple, right? hee..hee...

      Delete
  3. Butter cheese cake!! hmmmm.... Looking at it, I feel like taking a few pieces already!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eh, Reana Claire can bake, right? hee..hee..

      Delete
  4. I simply love to eat all kinds of cheese and would not hesitate to try all the cheese on the buffet tables of the big hotels. I just ate Ah Mah's soft cheese cake recently and wonder if they are the same which had mild cheesy smell.

    Horrors! How could you enjoy eating sheep's tongue!!??? I could imagine the herd of sheep in the NZ farms are all mute & speechless. I had a shock that HKG folks love to eat Donald Duck's tongues and now Ah Hong Chee eats sheep tongue. Can you cook them and let me try please??

    #KambingBisu #EatOwnTongue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aiyo, I cannot tahan strong cheese smell in cakes. I must add vanilla. Sheep's tongue is delicious, you know. The one I ate came from a can. Maybe can get from Cold Storage.

      Delete
  5. that's a lovely colour for the cake - the texture looks like a butter cake, but the colour looks closer to a cheesecake. really appealing! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the color too. It is a very rich and tasty cake, though not strong enough on the cheese aroma and flavor (which is perfect for me!).

      Delete
  6. Eh, senang je kan. Mesti sedap sebab Ada cheese tu

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very senang. Buat lah untuk your anak2.

      Delete
  7. My girl made a gluten-free Japanese baked cheesecake and was successful - it felt like cake, the texture, that is...and tasted like cake. She was so happy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, saw it on FB this morning. It's gorgeous!

      Delete
  8. Lama tak berjinak jinak dalam bab membaking ni....
    Tengok cheese cake ni, I teringat cheese cake AEON. Esok nak belilah hihi...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beli lagi senang, Hainom. Makan puas2 :)

      Delete
  9. I like this cake, made it years ago! haha, should make this again!
    Blue cheese is quite nice, when used in quiches and savoury tarts. If you eat this as it is, it can be rather strong in taste.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah! Then you know how good it is :) I am terrified of blue cheese hah..hah..

      Delete
  10. Sheep's tongue, blue cheese and caviar, all I never tried before.

    That day my mom cooked pig's tongue and it looks awful to me so I never eat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Must taste at least a bit. Who knows, you might like hee..hee..

      Delete
  11. Correction, caviar maybe I tried before in sushi, but sheep's tongue and blue cheese definitely never tried before

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The one on sushi also I don't really like. Got fishy smell.

      Delete
  12. Cheese bread - yes please and yum!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Replies
    1. Me too if the cheese is not smelly hah..hah...

      Delete
  14. This recipe seem quite straight forward without needed to beat the mixture until stiff or stiff peak which can be easily fail >_<
    I'm surprise the cheddar still in shape and not melted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, very easy hassle free recipe. I was surprised to when I saw the cheese did not melt :(

      Delete