Monday 12 March 2018

Macaroni Meat Drop Soup


I can't call this "meatball soup" because I did not form the minced meat into balls, but rather I dropped them into the boiling broth in odd shapes (just like how they do in pork noodle soup).

So I figured, if there is an egg drop soup, then there should be a meat drop soup. Which really takes the pressure off having to roll the minced meat into balls which can be quite tedious.


I wanted something hearty for breakfast. Cannot survive just on overnight oats now, can we? So I figured that a soup with proteins, carbohydrates and vegetables was the way to go.



Since I already had some bone broth prepared, it was rather convenient for me to make this macaroni soup. Ever since making bone broth (perhaps I should share on a post) I have not used chicken stock cubes because my home made bone broth is so robust and packed with flavors (and collagen too).


I guess this is no different from having a regular noodle soup for breakfast. I like it a lot and it is very filling. More soups for breakfast please!

Macaroni Meat Drop Soup
Recipe source : Phong Hong

Ingredients :
- 300g minced meat
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1 tbsp tapioca starch or cornflour
- 1 egg

- 1.25 litre bone broth
- fresh corn kernels from 1 ear of corn
- 1 carrot, cut into small cubes
- 1 stalk celery, thinly sliced at an angle
- 1 cup elbow macaroni
- salt and pepper to taste

Method :
1. In a mixing bowl add minced meat, salt, pepper, onion powder, sesame oil, tapioca starch and egg. Mix everything together until the meat comes together. Set aside.
2. Bring bone broth to a boil and add carrots and corn.
3. Pinch off pieces of the minced meat and drop it into the boiling soup.
4. Add macaroni and cook until macaroni is done.
5. Add celery and simmer for 5 minutes (I like the celery still crunchy)
6. Season with salt and pepper.

37 comments:

  1. Will go eat macaroni one of the day, see it makes me crave for it..

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is the perfect breakfast for me if the minced meat are minced from all lean meat. So delicious! Yums Yums!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the minced meat I used is all lean though I prefer with fats :)

      Delete
  3. Looks real yummy, dear! I love macaroni too! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love all kinds of soups...and I never use those chicken cubes for my soup. It's always boiled with pork ribs or chicken bones. Sometimes, I'd make extra broth too and store them in jars in the freezer. And when you want to make a soup like this one or some kind of noodle soup, you just need to defrost a jar....so convenient. Sometimes I wish I had a bigger freezer space (and more jars) coz then I can make a bigger batch. I'm not sure what bone broth yours is but I'm guessing you used those big pork bones I've seen in supermarket shelves but have never bought them before. Yes, do post how you make your bone broth :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What kind of jars do you use? I have this phobia that the jars will break when frozen. Yes, bone broth is the best and once you taste that, you won't want those stock cubes. Sure, I will share how I make my bone broth.

      Delete
    2. I actually use recycled wide-mouth jars. I also store them in Tupperwares. Oh dear, now you got me scared that it will crack when frozen (maybe I've been lucky so far). I suppose you can look for those freezer safe jars to put your mind at ease (I should do that too). I was told glasslock containers are ok too. The key to storing liquids is not to pour it right to the top as we all know liquids expand when frozen. Giving it the space to expand is what prevents breakage, I think.

      Delete
    3. Oh, don't let me scare you. Looks like you are doing fine using recycled jars. I do have those bigger wide mouth jars and I will try freezing the broth using them and bearing in mind your advice not to fill too full.

      Delete
  5. Sorry for not dropping by, have been busy for the past months. This is a great pasta recipe. I think I can make this for myself soon since my girl will be away for a course and my hubby back to stay with his mom. All the ingredients in this bowl is just perfect for me. Delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kimmy, don't worry about not dropping by. I fully understand that time may not permit. This all in one soup if perfect when cooking for one. I simply love the flavors.

      Delete
  6. I can see lots of "liew" inside the bowl... yes, I can imagine this macaroni & broth is very nice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For breakfast it is very filling and enjoyable.

      Delete
  7. Poo. So comforting. I love macaroni but usually in fried or in Mac n Cheese. I never eat macaroni soup before. Maybe I should cook it one of these days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not bad in soup, your kids might like.

      Delete
  8. it's raining cats and dogs right now, and the evening is turning quite chilly - this would be the perfect soup for tonight if you could deliver, heheh :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the "free formed" meat! Makes for a quick and comforting dinner!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a convenient meal to have in the fridge.

      Delete
  10. What a comfort food! The soup does look rich, flavourful and robust and i like minced meat too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a wonderful soup. I feel happy eating it.

      Delete
  11. I think I'd like it fried.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love macaroni and this looks easy to make a delicious soupy meal. Just drop everything and my pants! Muahahaha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, no, your pants must stay up hah..hah...

      Delete
  13. Your soup base looks intensely flavoured and I would like to know how you prepare it too :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Phong Hong, I love your creativity in everything you make...this simple little soup will not only warms your tummy, but satisfies the 'soul'!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's my comfort food, Elisabeth! One that has just a little carbs and loads of vegetables and some meat.

      Delete
  15. Yummy, yummy, yummy! Looks so delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was partly inspired by one of your posts hee..hee..

      Delete
  16. This looks seriously scrumptious...and easy to make too. Will give it a try soon! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  17. soup and breakfast - fab! Thanks

    ReplyDelete